Saturday, October 16, 2010

Pumpkids

I love holidays and seasons. After each holiday I am one of those people in Target snatching up half off decorations like they're going out of style. It feels festive. It makes me happy. Most of all, I want my kids to learn this same love of tradition. Today we began carving the pumpkins.

From the moment we brought the pumpkin into the house and put it on the floor, they were all over it. Touching it, talking about it, playing it like a drum. Good times.

I'm beginning to think that Ben is going to be very methodical. We gave him a bowl and showed him one time how to reach in, grab innards, and put them in the bowl. He did just that, right away, over and over. If a seed fell outside of the bowl he would stop, pick it up, and drop it in the bowl before going back to his task. I love to see his personality!

Kate was initially as interested in this process as Ben. That changed after one hand dipped into the ("sticky!") pumpkin. She didn't nap well and by this point she wasn't her most cooperative.

I was initially a little disappointed that things weren't going as smoothly as they have in the past but now I'm just looking forward to trying again when both kids are a little less sleepy. :)

From Left to Right: Kate at 3 months hated when we put her in the cold pumpkin, Kate at 1 year loved playing with the pumpkin but wasn't too involved with the 'dirty work', Kate at 2 loved reaching in the pumpkin and playing with the bowl of seeds, Ben at 3 months was cooperative in the pumpkin because we put pants and socks on him (live and learn)

1 comment: